Saturday, October 26, 2013

Of Paper parfum and anti-aging creams

When a woman has a cozy fall afternoon to spare all curled up in her bed and nothing to do, nothing could be more fun than flipping through a Vogue magazine if you love fashion.So recently my husband got me a Vogue subscription since I am the only person he knows who can run a shopathon for more than 12 hours (clocked in at almost 14 hours with a minor coffee break last Thanksgiving) for latest styles next to his cousin sisters. I heart them. God bless their shopping loving souls ! So I was saying that while I was enjoying flipping and already imagining how I could imitate those classic styles; if not the perfect cut and  design from the affordable retail stores, I was also getting absorbed in the beautiful themes that Vogue ran. From Victorian to Gatsby, Medieval to pop, pages after pages Miranda Kerr and Sasha Pivovarova -esque models transported me to a happy place. It made me feel suave, urban chic, Victorian prim and modern hip. And ah ! Those paper parfums they run inside the magazine. Just slit and smell. After reading a few issues, I started rating the parfum as if by doing so in some parallel universe I am BFFs with the beautiful ladies they feature in the magazine and we have tea and discuss world issues and fashion.So were these fragrances for me or not for me ? Floral or fruity ? Strong or subtle ? Fendi L'Acquarossa - Strong but just very attractive. It would make you keep coming back for more. Modern Muse by Estee Lauder - Love it. For me.Narciso Rodriguez for her ? Made me feel like I was already in a very upmarket expensive store where whenever the ladies pass by, you always get a whiff of whatever you wish for and money can buy. Tory Burch claimed to be effortless chic but I wish there was little bit of effort because it was too faint. Sorry Torry and Viktor & Rolf sorry you are too fruity for my taste. But Coco Chanel Mademoiselle you will always hold the key to my longing heart.So I was flipping through the Nov issue featuring Kate Winslet and I was doing my rating when I came across not a parfum but a popular anti aging cream sample attached to a page. Well for a woman in her thirties you just dont flip by and move on to other pages. It just makes you step back from your vivid beautiful lovely smelling world and go - Let's try this. Tried I did and sorry anti aging cream I didn't feel anything more coarse and sand paper-ish on my face before. I give it a skip ! Maybe my skin is still too soft and baby supple (transferred back to my alternate universe I guess!) for it. I cuddle up a bit more in the cozy bed. I will think of anti aging creams just another day. Till then I will just stick to parfum and couture.

~ A, loves Vogue



No comments: